These are the notes from the PMlessonLearned.com Conference Call:
Topic: PM Lessons Learned
Presentation Topic: "Don't Go It Alone...Lessons Learned From PM Community Building"
Host: Henry Will, PMP
Presenter: Timothy D. Bidlack Enterprise Program Management Office (EPMO) Manager, First Vice President- The Bank of New York Mellon
Podcast number: 0035
MP3 / Podcast: Download MP3 or Listen on Internet Archive or Listen on OurMedia or Join our podcast on itunes
Notes from the call:
Goal of PM Community Building:
* Set the Agenda for Project Management
* Increase Project Management Professionalism
* Bridge the gaps between various Project Management communities
* Gain consensus on Project Management practices
The Business Case…
* Fostering a work environment to attract and retain quality project managers
* Ensuring IT has the right numbers of skilled project managers to support business partners
* Minimizing execution risk associated with IT projects
7 Key Success Factors:
- Link to Business Strategy
- Obtain Buy-in ensure Sponsorship
- Keep focused on this that matter
- Have a Quick wins strategy, Demonstrate value
- Consider your organizations culture
- Marketing and communications is important
- Stay the course. Treat community building as an ongoing campaign
Bio: Timothy Bidlack:
As Manager of the Enterprise Program Management Office (EPMO) for The Bank of New York Mellon, Tim Bidlack is responsible for the oversight of major projects across the organization. In this role, he oversees a group of senior project manager responsible for objective project oversight as well as the project management tool team. Mr. Bidlack is a member of the Technology Operating Committee.
Mr. Bidlack joined Mellon Financial Corporation in May, 1998. Since then he has held the positions of Project Manager, Program Manager, and Project Office Manager. Prior to joining Mellon, Mr. Bidlack held business and operation positions in the Airline Industry including experience in Yield Management.
A Pittsburgh native, Mr. Bidlack received a bachelor’s degree from Indiana University of Pennsylvania and a master’s degree from Colorado Technical University. He is a Certified Project Management Professional (Project Management Institute). Mr. Bidlack is also a decorated United States Army Veteran.
Mr. Bidlack is active with a number of community and industry organizations and is a local and national speaker on project management topics. He is a member of the Pittsburgh Chapter of the Project Management Institute having served on the Education Committee.
Please join us for a future conference call (they're all free and open to all). We currently have several calls a month. See our calendar of future calls via the link on our website.
If you're looking for a PM job, we invite you to join our FREE PM JOB SHOP conference calls.
Join the Yahoo Group here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pmjobshop
We highly recommend that you join the free PM Lessons Learned Yahoo group in order to get announcements of our calls and other information to further your PM career.
Join our Yahoo group for details, reminders of the calls, and information to help you in your PM Career. Visit the website for details.
PMLessonsLearned.com - Project Managers helping Project Managers. Open to all.